Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Power of the Poppy

I was perusing YouTube the other day and watched a wonderful coloring tutorial 
by Jess C of a gorgeous sunflower image from Power Poppy.
I had never heard of Power Poppy before, so of course I popped over
and was blown away by Marcella Hawley's gorgeous artwork.
I recognized her art immediately as one of my favorite Hallmark card
artists. My Grandma always gave me Hallmark cards by Marcella, so I knew
who she was at first sight. I was so excited to think she was now sharing her
incredible botanical artwork with crafters through her rubber stamps and digis.
I picked out two of my favorite images to buy, but I will be collecting them all
as my budget allows. I opted for the digital versions as I like the instant
gratification of receiving them ASAP, and the ability to resize and manipulate as needed. 

After being inspired by Jessie's tutorial, I colored the sunflower image first.
I love how it can be colored any color, not just yellow. I chose to go with
the RV color family like Jess. I used RV69, 19, 09, 06, 04, and some RV02.
I even threw in some C grays for shading, but probably won't do that next time.    

The C's gave the petals a bit of a purple hue, but I felt it wasn't
really needed by the end of my coloring. I have to admit that this image
was a dream to color up. Plenty of detail, but not so much that it took hours
to color everything. I also added some background shading using a dot technique
to give some contrast against the white background.    

Since the flower really is the star of the show, I just matted it up on some
SU Razzleberry and some black card stock, and then popped it on a white card.
I am really into the whole sequin thing right now, but this is the first time I actually
used them on a card. I like how this one turned out. CAS, but yet quite striking. 

I plan to color up the Foxglove image next. It's got Marcella's fabulous little bees in it.
Such a beautiful image. Lots more details and flowers to color on that, one so it may
take me a while to get that one done.

I'd like to enter this in the following challenges:




6 comments:

  1. So beautiful I love your colouring
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now that is gorgoeus. I love love the color you chose for this sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! Love the colors. Fabulous flowers, love them! Have to check them out!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. The coloring and dimension on your card is absolutely beautiful! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bright color you chose for this! It is beautifully colored and the sprinkling of sequins finishes it nicely.

    Thank you for joining us at The Corrosive Challenge for our Spring challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beauty! I love the rich pink and gorgeous colouring! I’m glad you found us! Thanks so much for joining us at Power Poppy!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.