Monday, August 20, 2018

Simply Succulent

 Hey, hey, hey!
Look who's guest designing for Aurora Wings!!
I am thrilled to be playing along with the amazing DT and being
a part (if only temporarily) of one of the best design teams out there.
Mitzi is an amazing artist to design for.
      
I have the extreme pleasure of working with one of the newest sprites,
the Succulent Sprite!! Isn't she just too die for? 
So beautifully rendered and on trend right now.
The current challenge is a sketch, which I find so helpful with designing.
Takes most of the guess work out of it for me. I tend to get caught up in the 
minutia of laying out a design, more than anything.

I used quite a few reference photos of succulents to choose my palette,
which was nearly the death of me. Sooo many options, but not sure how to 
actually achieve what Mother Nature painted so beautifully with my
measly old Copic markers. I managed to pull it off pretty well, I think.
I love how the clear Nuvo Drops give such great texture to her String of Pearls.

After I finished coloring and embellishing her, I started working on the background.
I glued a sheet of burlap to a corrugated cardboard substrate, and gessoed the entire
piece. After it was dry I used a stencil and some crackle paste to add interest and depth.
Once dry, I spritzed it with Lindy's sprays hoping to capture some iridescence on 
the crackle. I think it looks like lace for the most part, which adds to the
shabby chic feel I was going for. 

Following the sketch, I arranged my flowers, doo-dads, and pearly bits
around the colorful focal image. With the addition of an easel back, this
creation is complete!
I do hope you'll pop over to the Aurora Wings Challenge blog to see all of the
inspiring projects on display for this challenge. You just might be inspired to play
along and possibly win yourself some AW gold!

I'd love to enter this project in the following challenges:
   


4 comments:

  1. Soooo happy to have you back at Aurora Wings, Chickie! Missed your "Glo"rious style and fabulous coloring and of course you didn't disappoint. Beyond gorgeous coloring and that background is to die for! You totally ROCKED this challenge. Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer. Don't be a stranger. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing card and stunning coloring as always .... I just love the dir´fferent colors on the succulent. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great to have you as our Guest Designer, Glo! We've missed seeing your work. It's a treat for me to see this gorgeous project. I love what you've done with the Succulent Sprite - gorgeous coloring in a beautiful palette, and the pearls with 3D look! I didn't realize that you created the whole background from scratch to achieve that old-fashioned lace look. Awesome!! Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer this month at Aurora Wings, Glo! Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so good at layers and colors. This one is really impressive. I love the depth and dimension of this piece. Really nice work! You are very skilled.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.