Saturday, October 24, 2015

Vibrant Day of the Dead

Do you ever complete a project and look at it,
and instantly fall in love with your own work?
It doesn't happen to me that often, but when it does, it's so nice.

The new month long challenge at Aurora Wings Challenge blog is
Day of the Dead.

I knew pretty much immediately what image I wanted to use
and got her all colored up with my favorite medium, Copics.
Day of the Dead Marie is one of my favorite Aurora Wings images.
Then, as has become my apparent Halloween tradition, I came 
down with a terrible bugg of some sort, and was completely out 
of commission for a week. Never got to get her finished, but was trying
despite my ailments, to work on a project fitting of this gorgeous image.

I love making cards, but this lady deserved something a bit more 
permanent than a greeting card, so I made her into a 5" X 7" panel
fit for framing.

I began with a flat canvas panel I picked up in a 10 pack at Ross.
I find some really cool craft supplies at Ross and TJ Maxx sometimes.
Who knew? Now we all do.
I gessoed, and then painted the panel with magenta acrylic paint.
Then I added some black paint to the edges to grunge it up a bit.

I mounted some black cheesecloth to the panel to serve as my background.
I was going to use some gray flocked baroque patterned acetate, but it
just wasn't working well with the magenta. And I really tried to force the
use of that acetate, but no dice. I like the cheesecloth better, anyway.

I glued on some lush black lace and trim to give everything a fancy flair.
I envisioned the rest of her dress as being quite ornate with lace and trims.

After adhering the image panel, I started the time consuming
(for me, anyway) process of adding embellishments.

I decided on the neon green rose to match her eyes, and then
a feather, some pearl fancies, mini roses, and a cool spider
to finish it all off.

I must say that I am pretty chuffed as to how this turned out.
I wasn't so sure it was ever going to be done, but now that it is
I will be searching for the perfect frame to display her properly.

Thanks for stopping by today.
Be sure to check out all the inspiring projects on the challenge blog, too.
The DT really went all out this month. Tons of gorgeous eye candy to be seen.

I'd love to show her off in the following challenges:
Brights all the way! I love vibrant, saturated colors!! 


  
  

18 comments:

  1. Love seeing the photos along your creative steps here. Since I had a sneak peek on the colored image, I was all curious what you were making with it. Can't believe how much pop that one lime green rose gives to Marie's eyes!! And I love the added depth that comes from the back board with simple treatment. Everything is perfectly in their place. Looks awesome already, but it's going to be amazing in a frame. Can't wait to see the pic. Get better first, though. ;) You have a week to get better to enjoy Halloween!! Thank you again for another fantastic inspiration for our new challenge at Aurora Wings, Glo!

    Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, stunning colouring and absolutely gorgeous frame. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooow... Stunning project.. love your colouring on her.. specially around her mouth.. also your colour choice. and that cute spider.. <3 Thank you for sharing your project with us at Ching-Chou Kuik Digital Stamps Inspiration and Challenge Blog this month.. Hope to see you again in our next challenge.. And good luck at the draw.. ;)

    hugs,
    ~RoRa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at TTPH, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so so so pretty, Creepy Glowbugg! I love how you used the cheesecloth on the canvas. It gives just the right touch of decay to the piece. You can use the acetate to cover an ottoman instead! LOL

    Anyway, I hope she gets displayed in a place of honour in your home. She really is stunning - no wonder you fell in love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous image, lovely colours and I love love love how it has all come together. Your work is amazing. You are truly an inspiration for me. Thank you so much for joining us at Unicorn Challenge Blog this month. Hugs Traci DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is stunning. I love how that green flower makes the whole thing "pop". Awesome creation. Thanks for sharing it with us at TTPH this time. Hope to see you again next time.
    hugs
    Dawn DT
    http://cherrytreestudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so pretty! The pink and black and green together are gorgeous! Thanks for joining the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for our "Pink Halloween" challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully bright canvas art and such a gorgeous image, love the colours you have used here too. Thanks for joining us at AYLI this week.
    Lorraine DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! this project is so beautiful! Thank you for your entries in Craft and Smash challenge!
    Serena DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Complimenti bellissimo! Grazie per aver partecipato al challenge di Craft and smash! Ciao LittlefrogRanocchia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your colouring is amazing, and I love the punch of bright green! The other embellishments are equally fab. Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is..in a word...stunning!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! She is magnificent and you put extra love and dedication into this project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing!! Loving the bright accents here and so pleased you have shared with us at AYLI!! Sarah :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a very striking card you have made. It fits our challenge this month well of “Halloween/something spooky”. Thanks for taking part and good luck. Best wishes, Kym (Ching-Chou Kuik Digital Stamps Design Team Leader).

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a lovely card. I love all the elements that you have added to it.. Thanks for joining us over at TTPH.

    DT Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow amazing card ! thanks for joining our Eerie challenge at The Pencil Case - http://thepencilcases.blogspot.co.uk/
    Good Luck - Susan xx

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.