Friday, October 30, 2015

Black and White Horror Show

Here it is the day before Halloween and I was finally able to
complete my project for the final Haunted Design House theme,
and the October 12 Tags of 2015, for Tim Holtz.

Now, I pre-ordered this awesome die set back in August. Pretty much the
very second I saw it. I mean, c'mon! It's a Zombie! 
And I loves me some undead corpses. 

BTW. I ordered this die set from The Funkie Junkie Boutique.
They are offering this die, and many others at half the price of
most every other retailer I have seen. They have the best every day 
prices for all of your funkie and junkie makes. Just so ya know.   

Zombies are my all time favorite monsters. 
After The Creature and Frankenstein's Monster, mind you. 
I am a bit of a purist, so the classic monsters do come first. 
But I have loved Zombies since I saw "Night of the Living Dead".
Well, actually my love really started with "TarMan", from "Return of the Living Dead".
He was the coolest, and still is the coolest on screen Zombie ever.

And then it seemed only fitting to really familiarize myself with the 
original "Night of the Living Dead". And that is where I got my inspiration
for this tag.   

My usual Zombie color of choice is green, but I wanted to make
this guy really stand out without the use of bright colors.
I thought an old black and white, silver screen zombie was fitting. 
I began by die cutting various shades of gray and black card stock.
I inked the edges using Black Soot and Hickory Smoke distress inks
to give some shading on all of the pieces.     

After adhering the designer paper to a tag, I speckled it with silver, black 
and white distress stains. I also sanded the edges of the tag, too.
Then, I added the number 31 enameled tag after giving it some Brushed Pewter
and black distress paints. I even got to use my TH distress hammer on the brads.
I love the aged effect on this tag.

I tried to keep this guy as dimensional as I could.

So cool to have dimension like this. The key really is to use a wet glue,
as opposed to a tape runner or other dry adhesive.  

I added some stained seam binding and silver tinsel twine
to keep in the black and white theme.
I also used one of my coveted "Zombie" charms.
I have a few different design charms, but felt this one worked the best.
And I still have another one of these in my stash.         

As cool as everything on this tag was turning out, I felt he needed something 
else to make him really creepy. Drippy goo! No real zombie would be seen
shambling along with a clean mouth and chin! I added some black goo to his
mouth and covered it in Glossy Accents to really make it look awful.
Something really disturbing about that dark black drool coming out of him.
I love it!! 

 I am so happy with how this tag tuned out.
I am thinking of making a canvas out of him in the 
very near future. I'll be pumping out Halloween projects
until Thanksgiving (and beyond) so stay tuned.

I'd like to enter this tag in the following challenges:


  



   

20 comments:

  1. Wow, your Halloween post give me shivers...but for a good reason because you rock this design! Way to go! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blrghhhhhh. And I mean that in the best possible way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spooky! The 31 tag and the drippy goo are super cool. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic goulish tag with great dimension. The colour scheme you used adds to the spookiness. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tag! Love the zombie, so much! Congratzz and well done with your Tim Tag!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome congrats on your win! Well deserved ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This rocks!! Congratulations on your win! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. the black and white theme is awesome in so many ways!!! congrats on your win this month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous black and white interpretation of Tim's October tag, congratulations on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, the goo! Very disturbing, indeed! But I love the black and white color scheme! Congratulations on your win at Tim's !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the old movie take on the Zombie theme! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the old movie take on the Zombie theme! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Absolutely fabulous tag!!!
    Thanks for joining us at Die Cuttin' Divas this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the monochromatic pallet, adds to the 'creepy' feel. Congrats on your win.
    vicki

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like this tag a lot! Great die cut and I love the black coming out of the mouth... Congrats on your win too!

    Thank you for sharing your talent with us at Crafty Catz this week!
    Good luck and hope to see you back soon!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so freakin' cool! Love the vintage horror color scheme and the drippy goo coming out of his mouth is brilliant. Now I totally want this die. Amazing work and congrats on your win! Well deserved! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Genuinely one of the most inventive versions of Tim's tag, you are such a deserved winner! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun blog...I am going to have to come visit some more when I have time...
    Congrats on your win!!!! I love your take on the tag...My youngest son likes
    watching that show sooo I can relate to your take on Tim's tag this month....
    SPOOKY GOOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.