Sunday, March 24, 2013

Round 2, ding ding!!!

The second round of the DT throwdown at 
This time the theme is Faux Finishes.

Here is my faux finished skull.

Paper Mache skull with bronze metallic paint and patina treatment.
I used the VerDay paint set from Retro Cafe Art to achieve this
awesome finish. Very realistic IRL. It looks like it should weigh quite
a bit, like solid cast bronze. 

All paper and card stock gears and cogs and such, 
given a faux rust technique using acrylic paints. 
I also used some navy blue rhinestones that weren't 
getting used very often, to act as faux rivets.

Stamped stylized steampunk gears onto tissue paper and adhered it 
over the bronze and patina. Next time, I think I'll apply it before 
the patina step. Might make it appear more realistic and less
sticker-ish.

Good shot of the bronze and patina, and a close up of the gears and 
stuff. I used some grunge board, but found the cardstock to work
better. Grunge board doesn't glue down very easily, either.

The Haunted Design House team won the first DT throw down, 
and we'd love to go two for two on this round as well.
We all worked really hard on our projects and we think it shows.
If you would like to see the entries from all of the teams
and cast your vote on Thursday or Friday, here is the link
to participate and vote, but it's free and very worth signing up.
Check out our collective entry at Haunted Design House

12 comments:

  1. Briliant work, Gloria! Amazing finishes and I espcially love the way it sort of peels back to reveal the rusted gears. Those are fab gear stamps, too. Who are they by? GO HDH! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant, I really love the metal strip gag ;)
    the cut away section looks fab and the colour contrast looks great. I need to check these paints out x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely superb! WOW you certainly pulled it off. Chris was well impressed too. LOVE it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Glo you really rocked this one... didnt ya? Love that patina .... it really does look incredibly heavy. I hate being up against you guys at HDH... hey -ho..... minionship lasts forever i hope!
    Love always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shut the front door!!! I stop over at your blog to comment on your WW ATC and I see this absolutely fabulous faux skull...UNIQUE and CLEVER!!! You've got to tell Kim about this...you know she loves skulls and steampunk!
    :Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. FANfreakin'TASTIC - the finish is amazing and the metal parts are mindblowing !!! Such a superb creation. I LUV it :-D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am at a total loss for words to tell you how much I love your skull for the throwdown challenge.
    I love to collect crafty / cool / funky skulls and have them all over the house.
    The skull and steampunk work so well together...its absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loves me some skull action! You skull is so unique. I love all the cogs, gears and rivets! Great bronze and patina effect! The skull looks super heavy. You should submit this to Skull-a-Day :D You rocked this!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.