...from a good challenge,
I have completed my Smeared Ink DT Throwdown project.
What is the DT Throwdown you may be wondering?
Well it is the cream of the crop in alternative crafting Design Teams, competing against each other for the badge, and more importantly,
the bragging rights, of top voted DT Throwdown champions.
This is the chance for me to create something beautifully twisted,
and then be voted on it by my peers.
The DT with the most votes, collectively, wins.
If you are interested in checking out the competition,
or in getting more info, go here.
You must be a member of the Smeared Ink ning group to
participate in the challenges and/or the voting.
Join up and vote for your favorite project!!
I am honored to be participating alongside my fellow
Here is my project for the theme of
Paint and Splatter
CAUTION: Lots of photos
Here is my before picture.
This is a small chest of drawers made out of chipboard and handmade
papers. It was originally sold through Hallmark, but I picked it up at my
local thrift store for a low, low price.
I began by removing the knobs and metal hardware,
and then I painted it out in white acrylic paint for a good base coat.
Then I painted it completely in a metallic champagne color.
I added gold highlights for an antique feel.
While the paint was drying, I started stamping various Stampotique stamps
onto tissue paper. This would allow me to add the images directly to my
piece without the risk of a bad image stamped onto the drawers forever.
Once the images were adhered to the drawers with decoupage and dry
(with the help of Mister Hairdryer), I started coloring them with Copics.
I really like the idea of brightly colored monsters and creeps (kinda like Monsters Inc.), so I kept the color palette rather bright and cheery.
I also knew I was going to be antiquing the drawers later,
if I needed to tame down any excessive fluorescence.
3 in a Round is one of my absolute favorite Stampotique images.
They had to be a part of this project.
For the splatter portion of my project, I used an awesome
red glitter acrylic paint. Might have gotten a little carried away, but
you can never really have too much splatter.
Lots of heads. Creepy, colorful, heads.
More excessive dripping.
Using a crackle with acrylic paints is a new technique for me.
I had to put on my reader glasses to see the teeny tiny crackles, but they
showed up better once I applied the brown acrylic wash.
Stampotique skull image stamped multiple times and flipped over for a
mirror image. One of the perks of working on tissue paper.
Weird little recessed top area.
Nice crackle finish and antiquing.
Well, there you have it. My DT Throwdown entry,
in all it's splattered and painted glory!
Thanks for the fun challenge.
You can see all of the entries and cast your vote for your favorite project
at the Smeared Ink ning group.
I am also entering this in the very first challege at
Left of Center challenges