Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Queen of the Deviled Eggs

I am not a very good or creative cook.
My skills lie very far from the kitchen.
That being said, I have managed to find my culinary gift, buried deep within the confines of an ordinary eggshell.
I have managed to raise the act of deviling eggs, to a bit of an art form.
I boil my eggs just as you normally would when preparing deviled eggs.
Once they are cooked, I let them cool slightly, and then I begin cracking the shells.
I don't remove any of the shell, just crack it so that the food coloring can seep in to color the white of the egg.
I use the flourescent food coloring from the grocery store, and let the eggs sit in the water and food coloring bath for at least 15 minutes, if not more.
The longer the eggs sit in the dye, the more intense the color.
  
I then peel the shells off and prepare them like usual.
I like to add bacon bits to my yolk mixture and use a freezer ziploc to pipe the mixture into the egg halves. This keeps it all very neat and uniform in appearance.
I didn't take any photos once the eggs were deviled, as they don't stick around long once they hit the table.
I am requested to make deviled eggs for almost every holiday and family celebration.
I add color to them according to the occasion. I also add color to the yolk mixture sometimes for a change. Like red eggs and green yolks for Christmas, and black eggs and orange yolks for Halloween.
Kinda weird to look at, but they taste like they're supposed to. The kids really like them alot, and there are never any leftovers.  

3 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! Almost too pretty to eat... almost ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this done - what a GREAT idea!! And it sounds like it's relatively easy.

    The bacon in the mix sounds delicious, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow....I love this look, Very creative, and nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.