Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Smudgy Antics and stained digits

I am having such a good time playing along with the shenanigans over at 
that I have decided to work on a recycled children's board book. 
I plan to fill it with neat-o images from Smeared Ink and some 
of my very own handy work via inks and pastes and such. 
I envision a good time will be had by all in attendance. 
Very photo heavy post ahead.

Here is the book I used to begin my smeared and smudged journey.
Fifty cents at the local thrift store. Nothing beats recycling.

First and foremost, gesso is essential to a good base for your sprays and inks.
I guess white acrylic paint will do in a pinch, but gesso is a great investment
at minimal cost. I painted two coats of gesso onto the pages I was working with. 

I just received the black embossing paste and the new bat stencil.
Both are perfect for this layout. 

When I opened the paste the lid came off like this.
Kinda cool, huh?

I used the black paste with the bat stencil, waiting impatiently for it to dry
I opted for the heat gun. Not sure if it was the heat gun or if that is the way 
the paste actually dries, but it reminded me of liquid applique in the way it
seems sponge-y. Still after a week, it still is a bit sponge-y in the thicker
parts. No big deal, just unexpected.
After the bats were dry (ish), I painted over my mistakes with more gesso.
I even went over the edges of the bats a little to give a blended effect. 

I finally activated all of my Lindy's sprays. I had 8 new ones awaiting
just the right project to be used upon. I am loving these vivid sprays.
Vivid colors, and gorgeous interference shine and sparkle.
These are from the Halloween set.  

I was finally pleased with this version of the background. 
I spritzed some water to blend the colors a bit more, and
I added some TH distress stains in white and black speckles 
to give a more cohesive feel between colors. I also edged the pages 
with black acrylic paint on my finger. Gave a looser feel than
using a paint brush, I think.  

I colored up some Halloween images from Smeared Ink
and made a Halloween spread  in my board book.

This contortionist kitty is actually Wolf Girl
She is so cute, and rather schmexy, too!

Added a Halloween embellie that I fancied up with Crackle Accents.  

For the second page, I used Pet Bats, also from the 

I used more new goodies like the TH Halloween words thinlit dies.
So cool! I added another crackled bit for more interest. I went pretty
simple on this layout to allow the eye to see that gorgeous background,
and those super cute and timely images from Smeared Ink
Here is the blog roll so you don't miss a single, awesome,
Smeared Ink project!



  1. Awesome as usual Glo! I would never have thought to recycle a board book like that. Terrific idea.

  2. WOW, Glo! These are some AMAZING pages! Love, love, LOVE what you've done with the texture and sprays and those cuties look amazing! Fabulous! Can't wait to see more. xxD


Feel free to comment or just vent.