I have finally mustered up the courage to enter the
I have seen so many brilliant entries for this challenge over
the past few years, and I felt as though I didn't have the talent,
or the necessary supplies to play along. Mainly the talent part.
Over the years I have acquired more TH inventory, and maybe a smidgen
more self confidence in my own abilities.
The current tag for August is to use your die cuts in a mixed media
project. Something I rarely consider when creating mixed media is to
incorporate my die cuts. Why? I have no idea. But this particular tag
and technique really sparked my interest and mojo.
I began with two manila tags, per Tim's instruction.
One tag for the die cuts, and one with designer paper with words.
I layered the tags, gessoed, and sealed them, and then
the real fun started. I added Peeled Paint, Seedless Preserves,
and Spiced Marmalade distress inks directly from the pad to the
tag in a random fashion. Then I sealed those colors and blended them
at the same time with more matte medium. Very cool effect.
It was at this point that I became so engrossed in this project
that I forgot to take any more step by step photos.
I was having THAT much fun.
I fussy cut a Found Relative lady, but since I was going for a
Halloween/Haunted feel, I gave her a skeleton head.
Ahhh, that's more like it.
I added some ephemera stash of my own, but was still
unhappy with how my die cuts were showing up. I decided to add
some distress ink in black soot with an aqua painter to the inside
of the die cuts for more contrast. Much better.
I really love how the colors came out all muddy and moody
after adding some black soot distress paint with my finger.
I attached the vial label with one of my favorite TH tools,
the tiny attacher. Such an indispensable tool!!
I scuffed the label up a bit with a nail file, and then started
splattering copper metallic and black soot paints for a speckled
effect. I love the speckled effect on nearly everything.
Lastly, I wrapped a skull and crossbones to a metal tag
using some black wire. I used some rub-ons on the tag
before adding the charm for added interest.
Again, I never think to use wire as a way of attaching stuff
to my projects. So clever, and it adds so much interest to your project.
A little warped, but here it is, my very first
tag project for the 12 Tags of 2015.
I enjoyed the challenge and the techniques immensely.
I'm sure I'll be back next month. I'm thinking how cool an
entire book of these tags would be to create and show off
to all my friends. Or maybe just to use in my art journal.
The possibilities are endless.
I'd like to enter this tag in the following challenges: