Monday, January 5, 2015

My Macabre Monthly has begun!

Have no fear, I am only talking about the newest incarnation of 
We have decided to begin this year as a monthly challenge
 with really inspiring themes that are left to your interpretation. 
No sponsors, but we will be honoring our monthly chosen winner 
with an exclusive badge just for that challenge.
The more exclusive badges you collect, the better your chances are of
winning an incredible array of artistic goodies from the Minions at the end 
of the year.  
Sound like fun? I think so. 
Wanna see what I made for our first challenge
"What's New Pussy Cat?"    

I decided that my first project for 2015 was going to be a 
mixed media canvas. I really love the freedom this kind of 
project allows. No rules, just add schtuff to your heart's desire.
I began with a 4" x 5" canvas base, painted it with green acrylic paint,
and stenciled a diamond pattern using a pearlized crackle medium.

I got this new stamp from Stampotique called, "Spotted Monster" ,
and I added the wings also from Stampotique, to give him the gift of flight.
He's all colored with Copics, and some Rock Candy Stickles for texture
on his wings and spots. 

After all the paints and mediums were dry, I still wasn't convinced this was
a done deal, so I added more crackle paste randomly on the canvas.
Then I broke the seals on some Silk acrylic glazes I had been dying to use.
They really add a nice subtle touch of color and shine. I ended up using my
fingers to apply it so it didn't look too deliberate. 

I added a Tim Holtz tag at the top with some black tinsel twine.
I also used some new TH stars, along with some pearls to give the
feeling of the starry sky. 

And it's not cool to forget about the sides of the canvas.
I added all the words using green tissue paper and stamping the words
directly onto it using Memento ink in black. 

I glued it down using Golden matte medium and it made the 
tissue paper disappear. I have a hard time stamping directly onto canvas with 
any success, so this really made my day. 

Thanks for dropping by today.
I hope you enjoyed my first creation of 2015, and that you'll join
me throughout the coming year to see more of my artistic ramblings
and shenanigans.   

I'd like to enter this in the following challenges:




14 comments:

  1. EEEK! He's adorable and your canvas is fabulous! Love the layering and texture of that backgound and stamping directly on it? You ROCK! Great colors, too. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh. Blogger/Google make me nuts, especially when they eat my comment.

    I love this canvas. Great textures and colors. Spotted Monster looks fab with wings too!

    Thanks for playing along with us at Stampotique Designers Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so delightfully cute! I'm with you about challenges with lots of freedom. Thank you for linking to Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous canvas, great colour combo.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. An adorable card - a fantastic design and great techniques.......your colour scheme is stunning and I just love the adorable cute image!!!

    Thanks so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    hugs
    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet adorable colours & texture. Love your choice of image ♥

    Thank you for joining the Stampotique Designers Challenge.

    Gez

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally gorgeous, love the colour combo :)
    Thanks so much for joining in with us at Stampotique :)
    Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is FANTASTIC! I love your style, your color choices and your sense of whimsey! Thanks for sharing this with us over at Altered Eclectics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous! Love the texture! Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love this canvas!! The colours work so well & the textured areas are fab!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Rhedds Creative Spirit - Steffi :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, ohh, soo love the colors, technique, and attention to detail on this piece. Wow and Wowza, love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WoWza !!! This is marvelous. Great colours and such gorgeous texture ... I LUV it :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute!!
    Thanks for sharing at Altered Eclectics.
    Lisa - Altered Eclectics DT.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.