Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fresh frustrations....

I have been having issues with my mojo lately, so I was having a hard
time coming up with something cool for our first challenge of the year
over at the Haunted Design House.
Finally, late Sunday night I realized I was trying too hard and thinking too  
literally, so I had an epiphany. I'll try a new color for my zombie makeovers!

I grabbed a cute little Buddha statue I have had for a while and went to work.
I decided to go with a nice shade of blue green/aqua for the skin tone.
Just trying something new. I'm still partial to the green skin, 
but I was trying something 'fresh'.
Almost done, now to add the black wash. 
It's something I always do over my kitchen sink.

And I will keep doing it over my sink, even though 
I DROPPED IT AND BROKE IT!
I have painted statues and black washed them over my sink 
probably 50 times or more. I have NEVER dropped a piece 
and broke it before. I was crushed to say the least.
A good couple of hours of painting, down the drain (sorry, couldn't resist).

So after some choice words, and some more manic brainstorming, 
this is what I came up with.
It's the toxic tooth of a Bridge Troll, also known as a "Raglefant".
I am of Norwegian descent, and I am quite fond of our Troll lore.
And I secretly love the film "Troll Hunter" from 2010.

I located a blank specimen tag on the interwebs, and then I antiqued it
quite a bit with distress inks and frustration. Still peeved over my Buddha.

I fashioned a tooth out of polymer clay, mixed up some
"fresh blood", and stuck it all in a little jar.  

I added a little TH vial label, and used a TH rub on for the word, "toxic". 
I also added some hemp twine and a distressed fanged charm.

And there you have it. 
New "blood" for my apothecary display.

There is still plenty of time to create something for our new challenge.
Enter your new, unpublished, makes here.    

As a side note, I have some plans for the Buddha.
You haven't seen the last of him. 

   

7 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE THIS!!!!!! The tag is awesome and that toot is adorable! I love filling up the jars, I use a bit of alcohol ink and hot glue. Your set of teeth charm is awesome and creepy. Have you been to Norway? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little Buddha. Great recovery though, and why secretly loved troll hunter? It's a brilliant film. X. The new zombie shade looks amazing too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great way to turn a negative into a positive! and you're so on the right track with the new zombie colors. love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, the classic eggshell blue zombie hue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. girl...you never cease to amaze me with all of your concocsions...I love your little dude even though he's broken...he's got more character now...it looks like he's lived a very hard life...and the aqua color is perfect....I just don't know how you do it...that little jar is very creative and it looks like you got your mojo back too...I'm glad to see your card made it to you...I always have reservations on sending things at Christmas time!!! I hope things have been good for you in the New Year..hope you have a sunny day...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. EEEK! Brilliant. Poor Buddha, but I adore your tooth specimen. Fabulous, Glo! xxD

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.